1) With the rapid improvement in.../growing awareness of..., more and more.../sth....
(e.g. With the considerable improvement in building industry, more and more structures are being erected to set the people’s minds at ease.)
2) Recently, sth./the problem of...has been brought to popular attention/ has become the focus of public concern. A
(e.g. Recently, the problem of unemployment has been brought to such popular attention that governments at all levels place it on the agenda as the first matter.)
3) One of the universal issues we are faced with/that cause increasing concern is that...
(e.g. One of the universal issues that draw (cause) growing concern is whether it is wise of man to have invented the automobile.)
4) In the past few years, there has been a boom/sharp growth/decline in.. .
(e.g. In the past ten years, there has been a sharp decline in the number of species.) 5) Nowadays, more/most important/dangerous for our society is...
(e.g. Nowadays, most dangerous for our society is the tendency to take advantage of each other in political circles.)
6) According to the information given in the table/graph, we can find that...
7) As can be seen from the table/graph/figure, there is a marked increase /decline/favorable (an unfavorable) change in...
8) As we can see from the table/graph/figure above, drastic/considerable/ great changes have taken place in...over the period of time from...(年份)to...( 年份)
9) The table/graph shows that there is a(n) declining/increasing trend of ...from...(年份) to...(年份)
10) Anyone who takes a closer look at the data in the table/graph can be surprised to find that...
11) It is a traditional practice to...in our society. (e.g. It is a traditional practice for young people to be financially dependent on their parents for anything like marriage and housing.)
12) It has long been considered only right and proper to...(in China.) (e.g. It has long been considered only right and proper/perfectly justified for the old to assume full responsibility for the growth of the young.)
13) As things usually go against sb.’s will, his original intention was to...
(e.g. As things usually go against man’s will, his original intention was to change the way people lived by inventing the internal combustion engine. Indeed, its birth has greatly enhanced their enjoyment of life, especially in traveling and transporting. But its dark side is presenting a growing worry to our society.)
14) The current situation of..., if approached from the opposite angle, reveals that...
(e.g. The current situation of our reforms is political structure, if approached from the opposite angle, reveals that much of the achievement is far from satisfactory. For example,...But...)
15) Everything about...seems (not) to be getting on smoothly/just as one wishes in...
(e.g. Everything about the economic reform seems to be getting on just as our government wishes in China.)
16) To sb.’s mind/In sb.’s eye(s), sth. seems/means... (e.g. In the eyes of the public, official corruption means taking bribes,. ..But such corruption comes in many different forms.) 17) No one would deny that...
或：Everyone would agree that...
(e.g. 见例2) 18) When it comes to...(sth.), most people (the public) maintain(s)/contend(s) that...
(e.g. When it comes to fake commodities, every consumer has much anger to pour upon them.)
19) Now it is widely believed that...
(e.g. Now it is widely believed that examinations are the best possible measure for the selection of the qualified.)
20) A public debate has arisen as to/over/concerning...
(e.g. A public debate has arisen as to whether one should step forward bravely in the event of crime.)
21) All that sth. has done for our society seems like a big step forward in the right/wrong direction, but it has also brought along with it a great worry /benefit to...(the average people.)
(sth.: cloning, the reform in managerial structures, etc.)
22) The birth/invention of...has made an enormous/essential difference to ...But it does not mean that...
(e.g. The birth of the computer has made a radical difference to the human progress. But it does not mean that this wonder does no threat to our society.)
23) Sth. has changed the way our society develops....But its bright side should not keep us from following closely its dark side.
(sth.: the genetic engineering, etc.)
24) Things about...are going on to our advantage, but a long cool look at ...reveals that...
(e.g. Things about the reform in state enterprises are not going on to the most workers’ advantage....But a long cool look at this move reveals that it will produce some substantial benefits to our nation in a long run.)
25) No/Little doubt that...But...
(e.g.［There is］ Little doubt that the traditional schooling has contributed much to our social development....But some grave defects in it begin to stand out against the modern times.)
26) What does sth. mean? 27) How/Why does sth. affect our life? 28) What is it like to do...? (e.g. What is it like to have lost all confidence in oneself?) 29) What would our society be like if there were no...? (e.g. What would our society be like if there were no public morals?)
30) Should we put sth. above sth. else?
或：Should we attach as much weight to A as to B?
(e.g. Should we put intellectual development above moral education?) 31) Sth. is often referred to as/defined as... (e.g. Corrupt officials are often referred to as the most dangerous borers in our government bodies, who are nibbling away the healthy organism of our party by dishonest means.)
32) (Doing) Sth. is just the same as.../is compared to.../is likened to.. ./is like...
(e.g. Life in the middle of marriage is often compared to wire walking, for in the early years spouses attract each other and in late years they need each other.)
33) Sth. is to...what sth. else is to...
(e.g. An individual human existence is to the human society what a river is to the ocean, small and busy rushing past rocks at first, but gradually growing wider and quieter until it becomes merged in the ocean in the end.)
34) To/For/With most people/sb., sth. is/means...
(e.g. To dishonest people, a friend means a target or an object that is of some use to them at present or in the future.)
35) Sth. is the symbol/mark/equivalent of.../is symbolic of.../is equivalent to...
(e.g. If selling one’s sex is the mark of degeneration, selling one’s power is equivalent to committing crime.)
36) Suppose/Imagine that.../Let’s suppose/assume/imagine (that)... (e.g. Suppose, by any chance, you heartily disagree with anything that is going on about you, you are less likely to stay on the good side of people around you.)
37) We often find ourselves caught/involved in a dilemma whether...
(e.g. We often find ourselves caught in a dilemma whether we should reach for the bear’s paw or for the shark’s fin/whether to reach for...)
38) If/In case/In the event that..., it is better to.../a better course is to.../sb. has no choice/option/alternative but to.../all we want to know is ho w...
(e.g. In the event that you fall in a love river, all we want to know is how you will swim in it, as you are no longer a fisherman.)
39) Unfortunately, sth. may affect sb.’s life to the point where...
(e.g. Unfortunately, the desire to be well thought of affects one’s life to the point where he is reluctant to say no to anyone else regarding anything.)
40) In our life, there often appears such an occasion when.../on which... (或it often happens that...)
(e.g. In our daily life, there appears such an occasion when we drink success to our work in one field but, at the same time, begin to do great damage to other fields.)
41) “...” That is how one of the great minds/scientists/writers remarked on...
(e.g. “Happiness, like an old friend, is inclined to drop in unexpectedly— when you’re working hard on something else.” That is how a famous writer once remarked on happiness.)
42) One of the great sociologists/psychologists has said:“...”
(e.g. The great classical ballerina Anna Pavlova has said: “No one can arrive from being talented alone. God gives talent; work transforms talent into genius.” In other words ...)
43) “...” Such is the accurate exposition/exposure of...frequently over heard in public.
(e.g. “Public morals are declining day by day.” Such is the correct exposure of the dark side of our society.)
44) How often nowadays we hear such remarks/complaints/words as this “...” or “...”!
(e.g. How often nowadays we hear such complaints from officials as this “I have too many social engagements to carry out” or “I have too many social engagements to carry out” or “I have to bear too many titles for our society”! Don’t be misled by the complaints of this kind!)
45) One of the great men once said that...
(e.g. A gifted American psychologist once said that it is an illusion to believe in the Sunday-school truth—more comfort, more happiness.)
46) Once in a newspaper/magazine, I hit upon the report that... (e.g. Once in a newspaper, I hit upon the news that a quick witted policeman spotted a suspect’s spittle in the street blotted it up and ran a DNA test on it which led to the man’s arrest for a murder. This case best counts as a practical application of the DNA technique.)
47) One day, I happened to witness the incident as follows:...
(e.g. 略) 3) According to the recent survey/poll/questionaire/statistics, there is/a re...percent of...
(e.g. According to a recent survey made in a certain university, there are 43.8 percent of male students and 38.3 percent of female students either facing problems with nutrition or having to miss classes because of illness each term.)
48) The scientific studies/statistics show/indicate that...
(e.g. The latest scientific studies show that, if one’s mind catches hold of something and does not let it go, it is useless to argue with the mind in this condition. This finding further confirms that a modern man is apt to get anxious and depressed.)
49) Every weekend sees sb. go about...
(e.g. Every weekend sees Ms Song, my roommate, wolf down her dinner and hurry out with her boy friend.)
1) According to/In the opinion(eye) of/From the viewpoint of some (those) people, the issue in question is...
(e.g. In the opinion of some old people, traditional modes of thought are the touchstone by which to tell good from bad.)
2) Hit (Confronted/Faced/Seized/Stuck/Haunted/Cursed/Overcome/Infatuated) with..., some people tend to...
(e.g. Haunted with sad memories, some people are apt to take a gloomy view on life.)
3) In (the) event (face/case/course/time/view) of..., some people usually ...
(e.g. In the course of human struggle for survival, quite a few people always direct their eyes to its dark side.)
4) As is stated (shown/suggested/listed/illustrated) in.../According to a recent (the latest) report (survey/quetionaire/study/scientific research), the issue in question really...(there are quite a lot of people who...)
(e.g. As is shown in a recent questionaire, there are a large number of people who express greater dissatisfaction than satisfaction at the general mood of society.)
5) In our daily life (activities/social contact)/In reality/Actually, man y people respond/react to the issue in question by...
(e.g. In reality, most people respond to evil-doing by avoiding it whenever possible.)
6) A good case in point is (can be best provided by) that of... (e.g. A good case in point is that of a businessman who makes money by fair means or foul.
7) Just consider/think of the matter/case of...
(e.g. Just consider the matter of raising flowers that are delicate and sensitive to watering.)
8) In the course of..., for example, there is/are...
(e.g. In the course of coping with worries in life, for example, there is an art to what way you take.)[HJ*4/7]
9) Take...for example(或Take, for example,...)A (e.g. Take foot racing (for example), it is a sport in which endurance and strong finish is often more important.)
10) As a(n) example (of...)/illustration (of...)/case in point, let’s take/see/consider/follow/cite...
11) Awareness of the matter in question is one thing/only the beginning( 或 the first step), but more important to us is the step/the question of how to (cope with/do with it)...
(e.g. Awareness of the harmfulness of superstition is only the first step, but more important to our nation is the step of how to clear it out of our society.)
12) There is no easy (perfect/universal/two-bird-one-stone/happiest) method (short-cut/solution/remedy/way) at hand, but...can put us on the right way (in the correct direction) to our final goal/destination (...are/is worth trying out in our work.)
(e.g. There is no easy short-cut to removal of superstition, but the following measures/suggestions can put our determination in the right direction.)
13) There is no better/sounder time to take steps/measures/action than right now, for no chance will be greater than the one we are offered.
14) It is obvious (evident/clear/no surprising/high time/hoped/suggested), therefore, that all-out (constant/great/cooperative/further/genuine/substantial/considerable/persistent) efforts should be made (exerted/used/bent/put forth) to ...(或should be directed to.../focused on...)
(e.g. It is evident, therefore, that constant efforts should be directed to the ecological balance.)
15) Therefore/Obviously/No doubt/Clearly, to...is not a(n) goal/aim to achieve in one step/move/go(或is no easy job/task), and to achieve in one stp/move/ go(或is no easy job/task), and it requires/involves/entails special/proper/all possible means/efforts/measures/remedies.
(e.g. Therefore, to eradicate this inherent weakness from our society is not a goal to reach in one move, and it requires special efforts.)
16) When/If asked to...I would like to.../would rather (not).../will do as follows.
(e.g. If asked to find the way out of the danger these depraved practices have created, I would rather live a simple life than go along with any others in their evil deeds.)
17) To...I might as well cite my own experience.
(e.g. To draw out of others more valuable opinions upon the problem, I might as well cite my own experience.)
18) If I were thrown/put/involved in (to) the context/background/situation/the state of making my choice, I would...
(e.g. If I were thrown into the freedom to make my choice among the styles of surviving, I would live like this:...)
19) Faced with/Hit with...I resolve/propose to...
(e.g. Faced with the challenge from the future life, I resolve firmly to perfect myself in the aspects as follows.)
20) As far as I am concerned, I will/have/would...(e.g. 略)
21) If sth. is allowed to take its course, it will be sure/bound to bring about/leave/entail desired (unexpected/grave/immediate/reverse/disastrous/far-re aching) effects/consequences/influences.(e.g. 略)
22) There are sure/believed/supposed to be some good/bad/beneficial/harmful effects/consequences/influences.(e.g. 略)
23) Come what may, it has given rise to several adverse/wholesome effects.(e.g. 略)
24) What merits our special/increasing attention/concern, therefore, is a number of effects/influences sth. has produced/exerted.
(e.g. What merits our primary concern, therefore, is a variety of effects the bad practices in our Party have produced.)
25) The influence/effect/consequence of...has not been confined/limited to...(It also...)(e.g. The influence of our outlook on life has not been confined to any particular aspect of social life. Instead, it has left its mark on every facet of our society.)
26) From the analyses of causes for...it is not hard for one to arrive at/come to/reach/draw/assert/deduce/confirm the conclusion that...(或...to distinguish/see the direction in which...)
(e.g. From the analyses of causes for divorces, it is not hard for us to draw the conclusion that the divorce rates will go up steadily under the current circumstances.)
27) If one continues to cast an indifferent eye on/to turn a deaf ear to/ to be blind to/to overlook the problem, things are sure to go from bad to worse.
或：If one is in real earnest in giving all his attention/concern to the problem/matter, things are bound to go from good to better/from bad to good. A
(e.g. If the governments at all levels are in earnest in giving their special concern to the problem of unemployment, things are more than likely to go from bad to good.)
28) Thus it can be seen from the above that (doing) sth. means much/a great deal/lots more than itself.
(e.g. Thus it can be seen that nourishing honesty in government bodies means much more than itself.)
29) The significance of (doing) sth. is embodied/reflected in the following respects.
30) Obviously/Evidently/Clearly/No doubt, sth. will contribute much to... (will add life/color/variety/new meanings/vigor to...)
(e.g. Clearly, the afforestation drive will contribute much to our living environment.)
31) Of the two things in question, I prefer/favor/give more weight to/endorse the first (second)/the former (latter).(e.g. 略)
32) If it is up to me to make a choice (between both), I would rather choose...over...
(e.g. If it were up to me to make a choice between both in the event of betrayal of one’s country, I would rather choose death over life.)
33) Since neither of the two things can be perfect in.../work effectively / come up to...(the required standard), the best/only/ideal course open to sb. is to...
(e.g. Since neither of the two measures can be perfect in the solution to the problem of cheating in exams, the best course open to us is to combine the two measures with other possible solutions.)
34) In view of the fact that there are obvious/serious drawbacks/weakness e s in either of the things in quest"